What I learned about a home birth, as compared to a hospital birth.
My first child was born in the hospital with an OB/Gyn. My second baby was born at home with Sara Badger, midwife, and the Simply Born team, and the prenatal, birth and postnatal care were wonderful!
- Less pain. Let’s face it, that’s what all of us women want! Because I was encouraged to take my time and push when I felt the need, I felt less pain than in the hospital setting in which the nurses and doctor told me when to push and push hard! At home, my body just naturally did the pushing for me. Bonus – I didn’t tear, so recovery was less painful as well!
- Client-centered. I was in charge! Sara and the team offered their expertise, stating benefits and risk of each procedure or practice. But in the end, I made the decision. As a result, I grew to trust Sara and this enhanced the client-midwife relationship.
- Relaxed atmosphere. At my OB/Gyn office I was forced to wait in the waiting room because they were behind on time, which happened almost every appointment. Once I eventually saw my doctor, I felt rushed, resulting in a limited relationship with my doctor. Sara’s office is in a living room. You sit on couches and chairs. It is kid friendly! And best of all, as a mother with a toddler, no wait time! After you give birth, you can relax in the comfort of your own home. You can eat whatever you want (not tasteless hospital cafeteria food) and sleep in your own bed. What’s more relaxing than that?
- Supportive community. Sara focuses on the end result; a happy, healthy baby and mama. You feel like you can call, text or email her anytime, day or night, during pregnancy and long after the baby is born. She also hosts educational presentations, community events, playgroups and parenting groups.
- Pregnancy is not a disease. My doctor administered test after test, not explaining the risks or benefits, nor the cost! It seemed like she was always looking for something to be wrong, which created a negative environment. Sara screens for symptoms, then administers tests. She views pregnancy as a positive, exciting part of a woman’s life.
- Not messy! Actually the whole birth was quite clean, if you can call a birth that. I expected to find a drop of blood somewhere on my floors, but no! The team cleaned everything and even did a load of laundry!
To say the least, I loved the birth experience with the Simply Born team. Sara offers a service that was previously unavailable to women in the Grand Rapids area. It is great that families have the option to experience birth without hospitalization.